Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Dandelion Break Anyone?

I feel like my heart is going to explode into a million tiny pieces, because of stories like these:

Robert Fisk on Qana
When I arrived there, there were a number of, maybe 20, 30 children, the corpses of children, lined up outside the government hospital, hair matted, still in their night clothes. The bomb that killed them was dropped at 1:00 in the morning.

But the odd thing is the idea that for the Israeli military that somehow it’s okay to kill all these children; if a missile is launched 30, 90 feet from their house, that's okay then. ... I’m sitting here, for example, in my house tonight in darkness -- there’s no electricity -- next to a car park. What if someone launches a missile from the car park? Am I supposed to die for that? Is that a death sentence for me? Is that how Israel wages war? If I have children in the basement, are they to die for that? And then I’m told it’s my fault or it’s Hezbollah's fault? You know, these are serious moral questions.
WalMart in Chicago
This is absolutely a very popular ordinance, and it’s popular because people realize that the federal government is not going to do anything, at least in the near future, to raise the minimum wage, and it’s absolutely appalling that it's as low as it is. [emphasis added]
(This is not to miss the point of the story which is that workers got a victory in Chicago with this ordinance requiring big box retailers to pay a living wage if they intend on doing business within the city limits of Chicago.)

Haitian Prisoner So Anne
So Anne’s case is even more scandalous than that of Yvon Neptune, because Neptune was arrested on an arrest warrant, you know, as flawed as it was, whereas So Anne was arrested in the dead of night by U.S. Marines, you know, which had no legal mandate to operate such an arrest, and she's been in jail for even longer than Mr. Neptune.

And the charges are preposterous. They’ve ranged from, as you know, squashing a baby in a mortar and pestle, which was so ridiculous that, of course, nobody could consider that ...
(See also The Violent arrest of Sò Anne by U.S. Marines)

No Blood for Oil 12
The No Blood for Oil 12 - who oppose the war in Iraq - were convicted of obstruction and third-degree trespassing for protesting outside an armed forces recruiting office in Lakewood [CO] in November.
Not to mention the ongoing bombing in what Jon Stewart calls "Israfghyianonanaq", the US' stance on not pressing for any type of cease fire ... well, read the headlines anywhere, turn on the radio or television, talk to people during your break ... simply live and breathe on this tumultuous planet. There seems to be no escaping it.

I'm declaring a brief dandelion break for myself.

6 Comments:

Blogger Shahrul Azmi said...

and here I am in a country call Malaysia... somewhere near Singapore, 1 am, enjoying life with streamyx and wi-fi, surfing the net while people in Lubnan looking at the stars... oh no! it's a missile.

where are the rich arabs? Busy looking after the wealth accumulated purely thru luck via USA..

Sickening as it is, this must be stop.

Friends of different world,

Please do something for me, scream louder and express your feelings, coz in this side of the world we thought the normal working class Americans support the violent act.

Last week we marched to the American Embassy sending a memorandum to Miss Rice of the US. I guess our effort is just too insignificant.

Glad to know you guys haven't loss your humanly behaviour.

(sorry if my grammar and language was bad - english is my second language)

10:08 AM  
Blogger Shahrul Azmi said...

sorry,
correction
'we thought the normal working class Americans'

'we thought the normal working class Americans and Europeans'

10:12 AM  
Blogger NotSoccer Mom said...

dead children and walmart... great post. i too am sickened.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Lyssa Strada said...

Shahrul: One of the main reasons for creating this blog was to be able to express our disapproval of events like the recent invasion of Lebanon. In addition... we wanted a space to express our approval of other news events as they arise, or to invent some, if need be.

Thanks for this post, Stephanie.

(Hi, notsoccer mom!)

12:48 PM  
Blogger Lyssa Strada said...

Shahrul: I meant to add that your English grammar is more than adequate, and we appreciate your comments.

[I was so busy thinking about the other part of your message, and why this blog exists, that I forgot my manners. My apologies!]

8:46 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Shahrul: I am so pleased that you continue to be a part of our dialogue. And I agree with Lyssa, your grammar is fine.

For the moment, my throat is sore from the screaming (literally and figuratively). I need a short break to gather myself and my strength. (And to that end, I will be at a history conference this weekend.)

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home