Saturday, June 17, 2006

She Couldn't Help Herself!

Darn those bookstore coupons and their alluring offers ... I keep telling Stephanie (of Blither, Blather, Bloviate and the somewhat stale Breathing History) she could just go to the library but she refuses to heed my wisdom. Something I am quite used to at this point but then, good friends are difficult to come by and she doesn't think I need to be shuffled off to the loony bin whenever I talk about work and that counts for quite a lot.

Anyway, the bookstore. There she was, coupon in hand, in a large chain bookstore promising to come out with one, and only one, book. "Hah!" I told her, as she continued to not listen to me. 6 books later ....

Her choices were not unpredictable and fell right in line with her interests and her studies, and right into what we discuss here at Lyssa Strada.
  • Born of a Woman - A Bishop Rethinks the Virgin Birth and the Treatment of Women by a Male-Dominated Church by John Shelby Spong
  • Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
  • Iran Awakening - A Memoir of Revolution and Hope by Shirin Ebadi (one of Stephanie's heroes)
  • Three Cups of Tea - One Man's Mission to Fight Terrorism and Build Nations ... One School at a Time by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin (this one had a picture of 3 muslim girls reading, so of course she had to pick it up and see what it was about).
I am sure there will be much dialogue about these books as the summer goes on.
(The other 2 books were a collection of Annie Proulx's short stories and a biography of Augustine.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Karen M said...

I wonder if we could gather up enough folks for a book discussion...

Do you think refreshments might be an inducement?

In any case, I am immediately adding Breathing History (nice graphic/header!) to our blogroll, and would have sooner, had I only known about it.

Then I am leaving to enjoy some liquid refreshments with my newly engaged daughter and her intended.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Thursday Next said...

Congratulations to your daughter, her intended and to you! "A blessing on your head / Mazel Tov, Mazel Tov!"

If we start a reading group, may I bring Pickwick? I promise to keep her on a "short leash."

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home