Saturday, June 17, 2006

Humorous Women: Ann Coulter

Humour and Ann Coulter, in the same topic? Oh yes, after watching her on Jay Leno the other night, I hopped over to her website and found things that were actually laugh out loud funny.

Honestly, I had hopes of seeing some fur fly on Leno, what with George Carlin being the other guest that night. But both Leno and Carlin failed us ... maybe. Or maybe they were smart enough to just let her sink her own ship. Carlin's certainly smart enough for that. And he was certainly gracious as he sat next to her and only raised his eyebrows at some of her more "interesting" comments.

Leno fumbled along for a lot of the interview, she is quick-witted and direct, that's for certain. From what I gather, she was also very polite because she actually waited for him to finish his thought before speaking. One of Leno's more fumbling ... "I mean ... I've found .... catch more flies .... you can catch more flies with honey ..." questions was, "In your book, you call the 4 women 'broads,' why?"

Coulter's quick response was, "Well men have been calling women broads for years." As if that made it all right and explained everything.

Here are some of the things on her website (I am not posting a link to it here) that made me laugh so hard I startled some of the grammar bugs right out of the latest book I am working on at Spec Ops:
... let's pause for a moment to observe that two facts are now universally accepted: Liberals are godless and Hillary's husband is a rapist.

My book makes a stark assertion: Liberalism is a godless religion. Hello! Anyone there? I've leapt beyond calling you traitors and am now calling you GODLESS. Apparently, everybody's cool with that. The fact that liberals are godless is not even a controversial point anymore.
She is really baffled by the fact we liberals are concentrating on "one chapter" in her book about the New Jersey widows and aren't completely outraged that she is calling us godless. She apparently thinks liberals should be jumping up and down and wreaking havoc around her head because of this statement. She also thinks liberalism is a religion, and it is what we worship. How can it be both a religion and the god?

Oh and the Bill Clinton is a rapist thing? There is a woman named Juanita Broaddrick who claims she was raped by then Arkansas Attorney General Bill Clinton in 1978 but no one has been able to come up with enough evidence or corroboration to prove or disprove this claim. Yet Coulter continues to call him a rapist. (Note: Do I think Clinton has a problem with his zipper? Without a doubt. Do I think he's a rapist? Not really, but that's an opinion not proven fact.)

When I first heard about Coulter's latest diatribe, I advocated a shunning. Part of me thinks we still need to turn our backs on her but another part of me thinks we need to keep talking and writing about her and her ilk, so we can "expose" a more rational approach to life.

But that's just me, a godless liberal broad.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karen M said...

I agree that the godless part should be more shocking to any liberals who claim a religion.

But, being somewhat godless* myself, I didn't want to be a hypocrite, too.

Now, traitor is something else... why is it that there is not more uproar about that? Part of that complicated relationship between the GOP's talking points and the MSM's narrative of conventional wisdom, I guess...

Fortunately, folks like Peter Daou and Digby are doing their best to alter the story, but it is a bit like changing the direction of a river or stream. Hard work.

(*However, I am a big believer in the power of prayer.)

8:21 PM  
Blogger Thursday Next said...

I've not seen much, this time around, about liberals being called traitors. Her appearance on Leno focused on the New Jersey 4 widows and godless. She did babble something about how liberalism was a religion and we were baptising our children in global warming but she went so fast I couldn't make any sense of what she was saying. It was clearly something she had memorized to trot out for this book tour.

In my mind, exercising your 1st amendment rights is about as patriotic as you can get.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home