Wednesday, June 21, 2006

California Politics

[Stephanie at Blither, Blather, Bloviate asked me to cross-post this here. She felt it might have some relevance to our community as well.]

I firmly believe that it is the duty of every American citizen to become a registered voter and to exercise their voice at every poll. But, I would be less than honest if I didn't tell you that I almost skipped voting earlier this month.

Harold Meyerson's article at The American Prospect Online titled, "A Not-So-Super Tuesday - Voter fatigue sets in, in California," says this about the process:
If the states are laboratories of democracy, as Louis Brandeis called them, then Californians have become guinea pigs in a vast failed experiment. Hold a major election every year -- complete with a torrent of attack ads and mailings and recorded phone messages from a startling array of personages attesting to the virtues of your state assembly candidate -- and eventually nobody will vote. The relation between permanent campaigns and voter participation, it turns out, is inverse.
I didn't like the mainstream democratic choices running for the privilege of running against the incumbent Ahnold. The mud-slinging during the campaign was taken to such heights that I felt like I needed to shower every time I turned the tv on. There were days I swore there was mud on the tv before I even touched it.

The answering machine at home was inundated by recorded calls pleading for my vote. Feh.

It was bad, folks, really bad. I spent the entire day at work complaining and moaning and muttering that I just couldn't get myself worked up to go vote. An older co-worker kept telling me, "you don't get to complain about the outcome, if you don't vote." Something I have been fond of telling others who don't vote. And I am telling you, I was almost willing to give up the right to complain because I so didn't want to vote.

And then there were the State Propositions. Oy.

There were 2 on the ballot, one a proposal to tax the rich in order to pay for pre-school education for 4 year olds. Fine in theory, unfair in practice. Find another way to do this please.

Another was a bond for libraries, a fundamental necessity in my eyes. But, in this state, as in others across the country, it seems that everything can be twisted into supporting illegal immigrants.
We are going to be told how important libraries are, and how we have to borrow the money again. These politicians want our children and our grandchildren to keep paying more and more, so they can keep giving more and more of their money to illegal aliens and self-indulgent bureaucrats.

There is not way you can argue with an ideologue, especially one who is going to turn everything around like that. Whatever.

Finally, I held my nose and voted. Me and 30% of the state's eligible voters. They really should have handed out nose plugs at the polling places. Then, I did a really scientific thing ... I voted for the first woman listed on every candidate list. Yup, that was how I made my decision. No way in hell was I gonna vote for either of those male idiots running for governor. I knew one of 'em was gonna win, but I wasn't gonna help.

This state really needs a "none of the above" option.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karen M said...

What a great system! Thanks to Stephanie for suggesting you post this here.

I'm facing a much smaller, but similar dilemma in the Fall. No way will I vote for Santorum, but I really don't want to vote for Casey, either.

The only possible good that I can see coming from a vote for Casey is that a win by him could potentially help the Democrats to retake the House.

But at what cost?

I'm seriously thinking of just leaving that line blank.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Thursday Next said...

No telling what she'll do come November, either. It is such a mess all over the country and sometimes it's difficult not to feel like we're just spitting into the wind.

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home