Monday, June 26, 2006

Books: Bluebeard's Egg

I have just finished writing up my notes and thoughts about Margaret Atwood's Bluebeard's Egg over at Logs of the Written Word.

Atwood is definitely a feminist who once said in an interview when asked "So, you're a feminist. Does that mean you hate men?" Her reply was a quick-witted, "Do you mean all of them or just some of them?" (If memory serves, which it sometimes does not. She could just have easily said, "Why don't you ask them?")

The themes of feminist vs. feminity, invisibility with or without a splash of body image insecurity struck me most fiercely in this collection of short stories, which are excellent in nearly every way.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lyssa Strada said...

I think we might want to start a list of books on the sidebar, and where appropriate, include links to your links, or others'.

I know it would help me to keep track of what I want to add to my list of what to read.

I loved Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale," even though I found it so frightening... it was so beautifully written. Can't remember the other titles I've read by her, but I haven't read these stories yet. Thanks for the suggestion, and the write-up.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

You are most welcome, Lyssa!

I have a few others in the pipeline that the reader of Lyssa Strada might be interested in.

May I suggest a separate page to list the book recommendations? The right hand navbar is sort of overwhelming with so much good information presented. A link to a page of recommendations might be an easier route.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Lyssa Strada said...

In fact, I later had the same thought. Must be a good one. Do you want to set it up?

6:04 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I would be happy to. Anyone wishing to contribute their recommendations to the Lyssa Strada Library can email either Lyssa or I.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Lyssa Strada said...

I just came across this: http://www.librarything.com/

What do you think?

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home