Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Fashion Sense

Following on Birdie's comment (see Something HUGE that women can do:
As a mom and an Avon Lady and a woman and a blogger, I sometimes write about my unsatisfaction with the media's Perfect Woman Ideal. I know other women blog about this, too, and try to shout into the wilderness that they are unique, beautiful, forces of perfect nature.
What is up with women's clothing? Are bras and hose not the most ridiculous things we wear? I don't know of any woman who can't wait to race to the comfort of her home and rip them off her body.

Personally, I gave up hose ages ago and wear them only if the occasion absolutely demands them. I wear sports bras which are fairly comfortable, but by the end of the day the elastic bands at the bottom are pinching and itching and ... at my age, I give a whole new meaning to the phrase "44 Long."

Wikipedia gives us this history of the bra including this tidbit:
Bras are believed by some to help preserve the youthful shape of breasts (which naturally sag as women grow older), an opinion which, unsurprisingly, is promoted by bra manufacturers. However, there is some doubt over this amongst the medical community, and while a woman may choose to wear a bra for comfort or for social reasons, there is no conclusive evidence to support the notion that a woman's breasts will sag lower over her lifetime if she doesn't wear a bra.

Anecdotal tidbits say that Marilyn Monroe wore a bra most of the time, especially when sleeping to keep hers firm and uplifted. My abusive perverted father insisted I go braless every summer through high school. Since Marilyn died at the age of 36, we'll never know what shape her breast would have been in as she entered the middle ages. I've already said too much about what shape mine are in.

I need to wear one for numerous reasons and I'm a devout believer in comfort in all things. That doesn't make bras any less ridiculous though. Wouldn't it be great if we could find a way to make them more comfortable while performing their duties?

1 Comments:

Blogger NotSoccer Mom said...

aMEN!

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home